Jamie Hendricks

If I could have been there written and illustrated by Jamie Hendricks

Friday, March 7, 2014

Well jack of all trades master of none

I often take on things that I do not wish to dole out money for... if I can make it myself I will try, if I think I can do it, I will try... even if I think I can't do it but want to try anyway... I have worn many hats in my lifetime for all the different trades or jobs that I have done...
Some of the easier than others... there are many steps to becoming a self publisher and now I have completed most of them...
I became a author , a illustrator , a importer and owner of a book selling business..
ahh the internet , the marvels that you bestow upon me each day, the opportunity that you have given me.
I often get asked why I am not taking my book to a publisher?
they will be able to sell more books for you...
Well as a artist , you do not like to be told your work stinks.. so if I even got a bad review from any of them I would have been devastated to say the least. For this book was more thatn just pictures and words.. it is part of my heart, how could I make myself vulnerable to them... so best next step AVOID them.. yes and that I did.
I am not afraid to take on new challenges.. after all I lived in Fiji for 4.5 months with the locals , sleeping on mats on the floor , fishing in the ocean with a coke bottle with fishing line wrapped around it and snails for bait inside it. I lived in a hut on the beach sleeping on a coconut husk bed and ate fresh crab caught on the beach..
I worked pipline construction for 15 years doing the same work as my male counterparts..
so having a Graphic art training I should be able to make a book.. well I went through a company in the US to start with as you have read in a previous post.. I learned how I did not want to do business,
I had to trust someone... someone across the ocean that I had never met before, would I get ripped off and loose my money.. well I still may I am not sure.
But one thing I do is go in with both feet when I start something .. so it is all or nothing...
I did my research, everyone liked my concept.. did my art, everyone liked my characters..
so now what is the problem.. getting my book out there with out a big publisher. How am I going to get my book known, will anybody besides my friends and family actually want to buy one ..My husband said ORDER them , well I can line the upstairs wall if they don't sell right..
My friends have great confidence in the book and say it is touching and brings tears to their eyes
 ( this is a good thing right) as it evokes emotion within us that tugs at our hearts..
So after all the learning of how to be a self publisher, now comes the hard part getting my book known with out the big book stores selling it.. I am counting on you my viewing audience to help spread the word
Thank you in advance
Jamie

1 comment:

Ed Service said...

I still can't read the book without tearing up! Bravo, Honey, What a great job!